The XMPP community is part of the Google summer of Code 2015 and for XMPP-IoT we have several projects
#What is this XMPP-IoT There are many solutions how to connect Internet of Things (IoT) devices to internet, to create services and interesting applications. on this site you find an introduction to how we mimic the world of people chatting to enable any device to any device interoperability. Supporting all usecases that IoT needs. Especially the possibility to be a way for companies to interact through federation.
The projects are:
The third IoT realted project is maintained by Process one
You can also propose others if you have an idea. post it to the chat room or mailing list
#Talk to us!
- We’d really like to talk with you a bit, so please come by the XSF’s GSoC MUC room at email@example.com and have a chat. you find the logs here
- Join the gsoc maillist
- there is also a twitter handle @XMPPIoT to be used
##Teaser tasks for prototyping tools
- Run the sample scripts under the Tutorials And propose better ones to understand the concepts.
- Create a python script “makingfriends” to manage friendship subscriptions between devices when you need several JID’s to be able to talk to each other.
- Build a one to many chat room example of a device sending values to many devices in a MUC chatroom using XEP323 message stanzas
- Look at the scripts avaliable in the SleekXMPP IoT examples especially the PhilipsHue. Create a mapping to another open API for a device.
##Teaser tasks for openHAB
OpenHAB is an opensoruce project acting as a control environment for a smart home bridging between many different physical protocols.
start an OpenHAB instance and trigger the XMPP module to send a plain chat message ex “Toggle” or “relay=True”. This can be sent to another OpenHAB instance recieving the message and acting on it’s local variables. It can also be sent to the python script in the tutorial triggering a relay to “Toggle”.